MAKES: 8 CUPS | ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN
This is a Wegman’s recipe that I slimmed down with chicken sausage and turned into a crock pot wonder! I do all the prep in the morning, turn the pot on, and fugghetaboutit. You can make it go even faster by doing your chopping and prep work on the meatballs the night before. This was a hit even with my soup-hating husband.
- 1 pound mild Italian chicken sausage (I used links from Whole Foods)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale roughly chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (15.5 oz) Canellini Beans, drained
- 8 oz pasta (I used a quinoa-amaranth blend)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Remove sausage from casing, cut it into small pieces that you can roll into 1 inch meatballs.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large pan on MEDIUM. Add sausage balls and cook,turning to brown all sides, 3-4 min. Remove sausage from pan, set aside. Discard pan drippings.
- Return pan to heat; add remaining 2 Tbsp oil and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, stirring 2-3 min, until onions are translucent. Add garlic; cook, stirring until softened, about 1 min. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add onion mixture, meatballs, beans and stock to crockpot.
- Turn crock pot on low and let soup cook for 6-8 hours.
- 1 hour before you serve, add pasta and kale to the crockpot. Let soup simmer for another 45 minutes.
- Add parsley and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Leave a Reply